I wish I had a happy update for you guys, but the political happenings of the last month pretty much crushed me. SCOTUS officially overturning Roe v. Wade overshadowed even the good parts of the month (which included celebrating my 35th birthday).
If I’m being honest with you guys, it’s been increasingly hard for me to find inspiration and joy in the last few years. Between the pandemic, various climate related disasters (Remember how the wild fires in the summer of 2020 motivated me and Erlend to sell my old house to buy a new one with better windows and a modern HVAC system? Or when our car caught on fire during a “freak” ice storm? Or last summer’s “heat dome”?), and the dire politics of this country, baking and this space doesn’t really provide the escape that it used to. And the fact of the matter is that I agree with this TikTok video wholeheartedly:
@e.mo.tions #stitch with @debtcollective ♬ Love You So – The King Khan & BBQ Show
So, yeah, I don’t really have too much to say. I’m sorry for being so negative. I really, truly hope that next month will be better.
In Case You Missed It: New Recipes and Posts
Here’s a list of everything new on my different Hummingbird High channels:
New and Updated Recipes on hummingbirdhigh.com
- How To Make Pie Crust In A Stand Mixer (Watch the video for this recipe on Instagram and TikTok)
- Rhubarb Custard Pie (I updated this recipe to include a video; watch it on both Instagram and TikTok, too!)
- Milk Bar Birthday Cake (I first made and published this cake recipe on my 25th birthday, and updated the post for my 35th birthday! Wild, right?! Watch the video for this recipe on Instagram and TikTok.)
- Small Batch Strawberry Biscuit Sheet Cake (This recipe is exclusive to Patreon supporters; learn more below!)
- How To Pre Bake Pie Crust
New Videos on Instagram and TikTok
- An Incredibly Extra Way To Soften Butter (watch exclusively on TikTok)
- Strawberry Anti-Hustling Pie and The Baked Version (watch both exclusively on TikTok)
- Taste Testing All The Ghirardelli Box Mix Brownies (watch on Instagram and TikTok)
@hummingbirdhigh tasting all @Ghirardelli Chocolate Company #boxmixbrownies 2 forget about the loss of my reproductive freedom #baking #bakingtiktok #brownies ♬ Aesthetic – Tollan Kim
Developing and updating these recipes requires financial resources from ads on my website and paid partnerships with brands. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic, many brands have limited their advertising budgets and cancelled sponsorship opportunities. So if you are able to financially support my work, please consider becoming a Patreon supporter. You can learn more about why I decided to start a Patreon in this far too emotional and confessional essay (lol).
However, the TL/DR is this: in addition to enabling me to keep developing more customized recipes suited to your needs, Patreon supporters help shape future recipes on Hummingbird High. Patreon supporters get access to exclusive recipes and Instagram Story tutorials like Small Batch Blueberry Scones, Very Small Batch Yellow Sheet Cake, Small Batch Cinnamon Rolls, and more.
Food For Thought
This past month, I also spent a LOT of time thinking and reading about food beyond the baking recipes you see on this blog. Here are the ideas and issues that resonated with me:
- “The Struggle Cookbook Authors Face In 2022” in Tasting Table. Before I wrote my cookbook and discovered the truth, I always thought that cookbook authors lived a sweet, cushy life. Spoiler alert—I was wrong and writing a cookbook is really, really hard. And it seems like it’s just gotten harder since I published mine!
- “How I Learned to Eat Alone and Not Be Lonely” in The Atlantic. Trigger warning for this article—please don’t read it if you struggle with disordered eating! I’m lucky enough to never have struggled with an eating disorder, so I appreciated this perspective on how mukbangs and other food content on social media help people with EDs and their mental health.
Here are the recipes and resources I saved for myself in the last month:
- “We Tried 7 Methods for Storing Berries and the Winner Outlasted Them All” in The Kitchn. Because it’s strawberry season, y’all. Though sadly, we had a pretty paltry season in Oregon because of climate change. Sigh.
- “How to Cut a Baking Recipe in Half And Still Make It Taste Right” in Bon Appetit. I’m a month late to this article, but I appreciated it anyway! A lot of these tips are the foundation for the small batch baking recipes on Hummingbird High.
- “Do I Really Need to Bake With Cake Flour?” in Food52. TL/DR is yes, but you can likely make your own cake flour with ingredients you already have at home.
Sometimes, especially now, it can be really easy to be ungrateful and dismissive of what the United States has to offer (especially when compared to other developed countries). So I very much appreciated this Reddit thread asking non-Americans about their favorite American foods. Seconding all the gushing for barbecue, diner breakfasts, and biscuits!
That’s all for now, folks. I hope you all are staying safe and healthy! Please let me know how you’re doing in the comments below, and feel free to share the ideas and issues that are floating around in your heads, too.