(Adapted from Baker's Royale)
- 1x pinwheel bundt pan, buttered liberally and sprayed with cooking spray
For the Cake:
(makes one 10-inch cake)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided into 1/2 cup and 2 cup portions
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons water, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- powdered sugar, for dusting
For the Marble Pinwheel Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 (F).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups cake flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and 6 tablespoons water. Whisk until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Place 1 1/2 cups melted butter and 2 cups sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high until the mixture is blended, about 1 minute. Add in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and continue beating until combined. Add 5 eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg has just been incorporated. Once all the eggs are added, beat mixture until it becomes light and fluffy -- it will resemble pancake batter, but slightly thinner.
- Turn mixer down to its lowest speed and add the flour mixture (from the first step) in three additions, alternating with 1/2 cup whole milk in two additions and mixing just until blended.
- Add 2 cups of batter (from the fourth step) to the cocoa mixture and stir until blended.
- Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, pour two scoops of vanilla batter into the pan. Now alternate and pour one scoop of chocolate batter on top of the vanilla mixture. Continue to alternate between vanilla and chocolate layers until the bundt pan is filled.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes, before turning out to cool completely.