Marble Pinwheel Cake
- 1x pinwheel bundt pan, buttered liberally and sprayed with cooking spray
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided into 1/2 cup and 2 cup portions
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons water, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 (F).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups cake flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and 6 tablespoons water. Whisk until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Place 1 1/2 cups melted butter and 2 cups sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high until the mixture is blended, about 1 minute. Add in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and continue beating until combined. Add 5 eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg has just been incorporated. Once all the eggs are added, beat mixture until it becomes light and fluffy — it will resemble pancake batter, but slightly thinner.
- Turn mixer down to its lowest speed and add the flour mixture (from the first step) in three additions, alternating with 1/2 cup whole milk in two additions and mixing just until blended.
- Add 2 cups of batter (from the fourth step) to the cocoa mixture and stir until blended.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes, before turning out to cool completely.