Get the Recipe: Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate-covered sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 (F).
- Combine 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1/3 cup light brown sugar, and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld whisk) and cream together on medium-high for 2 to 3 minutes, until fluffy and pale yellow in color.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and turn the mixer to its lowest speed. Add 1 egg yolk and increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 1-2 minutes, or until the sugar granules fully dissolve and the mixture is a pale white.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/8 baking powder, and a pinch of baking soda. On low speed, add this mixture to the butter mixture and mix for a minute until the ingredients have just been incorporated.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, followed by 1 cup chocolate-covered sunflower seeds until both ingredients are well mixed and fully dispersed throughout the dough.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and use a cookie scoop to scoop out 1 tablespoon-sized balls of dough, leaving 2-3 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven or until the cookie is caramelized on top and is puffed slightly but set firmly. Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for a 5-10 minutes, before turning out on a cooling rack to cool completely.