Today’s my last day in New York, and thank you so much for all your recommendations! Thanks to you guys, I was able to get some great new plateware (Molly introduced me to Canvas Home Store and nearly broke my wallet), sandwiches (Brooke steered me towards the prime rib sandwich at Eataly), cookies (shoutout to Heather for the oatmeal cookie tip at Levain), and whoever else I’m forgetting. You guys rock. I also finally got to hang out with Cynthia, sneaking away one lunch break to stuff our faces with pizza from the new Roberta’s outpost in Manhattan (which I’ll be honest — definitely one of the highlights of the trip). I wish I’d had more time to see everybody (looking at you, Samantha and Yossy — I’ll get you guys next time), but I’ll be back sooner rather than later.*
*Also: are you grossed out by how much the blogging world knows each other? We all love each other, and yes, the world’s getting smaller and smaller. Deal with it.
(yeah, living the raw deal — three course meal!)
by Chef Katrina of Warm Vanilla Sugar
by Chef Claire of The Kitchy Kitchen
Pumpkin Orange Brulee Pie
by Chef Courtney of Fork to Belly
The Chilly Irishman
by Chef Ashlae of Oh, Ladycakes
- New Gilmore Girls episodes are coming to Netflix. I die.
- What to do when your chocolate seizes. Don’t panic. It’s gonna be okay.
- How to pair wine with Halloween candy. Amazing.
- Ever wonder why pop rocks candy pops in your mouth? Now you know.
- You know, I always liked Airbnb until they released these incredibly bratty and tone-deaf ads throughout the city, implying that their tax payment (you know, the same taxes that everybody else pays) is some sort of charitable contribution to the city. And who on earth would take a swipe at already underfunded public services like libraries and public school systems? So much for the sharing economy, you hypocritical jerks.**
- The most popular Halloween costumes, as sorted by state.
- Do you guys know about this House Hunting tumblr? I found it a few months ago and I’m obsessed. Looks like I’m not the only one.
- Nancy Meyers makes those movies with the nice houses, kitchens, and pretty people doing quirky and adorable things. I wish her movies were my life. Well… maybe just the kitchens.
- Yelp is teaching computers to recognize objects in photos in order to make their listings more accurate and useful. Discuss.
And finally, some food-related links I couldn’t find any lyrics to match with:
- The Blogosphere has been killing it with pumpkin breakfast goods lately! In particular, I love these English muffins, these granola cups, and this slow cooker oatmeal. Rock on.
- And on the theme of pumpkin, my blog friend Sara threw a HUGE pumpkin party bash that’s worth checking out. So many awesome bloggers and recipes!
- Ugh — there’s a racial divide in pay for restaurant workers. Nope, nope, nope. Let’s end this shit.
- I just don’t know how I feel about the rainbow bagel.
- In case you missed it, I’m doing a giveaway for your very own custom and personalized cake stand from AHeirloom. Check it out!