“Got any pie recipes?” A friend of mine asked.
“Nope, not a big pie person.”
“What about cake?”
“Not too big on cake either.”
“What are you making for Thanksgiving then?”
“I don’t know.”
“Aren’t you a dessert blogger?!”
Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- one 12 oz. bag semisweet chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350 (F). Spray your baking tin with cooking spray, line with parchment paper, and then spray again.
- Whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon espresso powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together 1/2 cup butter, 4 oz. cream cheese, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes on medium-high.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, lower to a slow speed, and add 2 eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- With the mixer remaining on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture from the first step. Mix until just combined, taking care not to overmix.
- When the flour is just combined into the sugar mixture, use a rubber spatula to stir in 12 oz. chocolate chips.
- Bake for 350 (F) for 35 – 40 minutes, until the center is set and the edges are deep golden. When the bars are ready, rest on a cooling rack and let cool in the pan.