Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Donut Holes
For the Donut Holes
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
For the Donut Glaze
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup hot water
For the Donut Holes
- In a bowl, whisk together 2 1/4 cups cake flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld whisk), beat 1.2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening together until sandy.
- Once the sugar and shortening are well combined, add the 2 egg yolks and mix until the mixture is light and thick.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream and ending with flour, scraping the sides of the bowl down as necessary. The dough will be sticky. Transfer the dough into a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface until about 1/2 inch thick. Use a 2-inch cutter to cut out as many circles of dough as you can. Roll the flat circles of dough into little balls.
- Pour 2 cups of vegetable oil into a heavy bottom pot (I used an iron skillet) to at least 2 inches deep. Heat to 325 (F). Ad the donuts to the heated oil a few at a time, careful not to overcrowd the pot. Fry on each side until golden brown, being careful to make sure they don't burn.
- When the donuts are finished frying, let drain on a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
For the Vanilla Glaze
- Mix 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons corn syrup, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/3 cup hot water with a whisk until smooth.
- Dip each donut hole into the glaze immediately, making sure the donuts are covered completely. Place on a wire rack above a sheet pan to catch any excess glaze. Let sit for 20 minutes until glaze is set.