(above: that time I made Betty's Shanghai red braised pork belly for dinner)
For more pictures of what Hummingbird High eats that's not dessert, follow me on Instagram!
This Week's Menu
(yeah — living the raw deal, three course meal!)
by Chef Lindsey of Dolly and Oatmeal
by Chef Ashley of Not Without Salt
by Chef Yossy of Apt. 2B Baking Co
by Chef Alana of Alanabread
… if you’re going to san francisco …
- Probably best to avoid the worst rated restaurants on Yelp (unless you’re actively looking for a case of food poisoning).
- These (mis)fortune cookies. They’re perfect.
… work it hard like it’s your profession …
- This article about the horrifying work culture at Amazon made a ton of waves; most shocking to me, however, was people bringing their laptops into the bathroom with them to keep coding. Ew.
… you are beautiful no matter what they say …
- Designers from 18 countries were asked to retouch the same woman’s body to reflect the different standards of beauty in their particular country. Yikes.
… take me on a trip i’d like to go some day …
- One frequent flyer shares his tricks on how to always score a flight with an empty seat next to you.
- I can’t decide if riding these roller coasters would be exhilarating or petrifying. Possibly both.
… this is how we do it …
- Become a burger expert.
… questions of science, science and progress …
- What? You can train your brain to recoil at fatty foods? Imma gonna try this for my next diet and report back.
… i know we suffer for fashion or whatever …
- You guys — as an Asian girl, I have such a hard time finding glasses that will fit my small, flat nose. These sunglasses apparently are the fix. I can’t wait!
And of course, all the food related links I couldn’t find any lyrics to go along with:
- Despite all our advancement, women are still considered second best at everything, even in the kitchen. We idolize male chefs more than female ones. Let's change that.
- A chef in New Jersey tries out a “pay what you want” pricing model for his restaurant. Fascinating.
- “I followed my mom around Costco and this is what I learned.” Hm.
- Remember in college when we all ran $5.99 handles of vodka through Brita filters to make it taste better? Food52 checks to see if that actually works.
Have a good weekend, folks! Don't forget to comment with any links, GIFs, or recipes that I might have missed.