above: my first non-Ikea Princess cake for my birthday from Erlend
below: a beautiful pot of orchids from Erlend's mom
To see more pictures of my birthday celebration, follow me on Instagram!
Thank you so much for all the wonderful birthday wishes. I had a wonderful birthday week, involving three different cakes: Princess cake from Erlend (as seen in the Instagram picture above), this boozy yellow birthday cake from yours truly, and a red velvet cream cheese cake from my sweet coworkers.
Tonight, I'm heading across the pond for my sister's wedding in Amsterdam, so be sure to follow along my travels on Instagram and Twitter. True to form, I've planned most of the trip around food, so watch my feed for desserts from England, the Netherlands, and Scotland!
Have a great weekend everybody!
This Week's Menu
(yeah, living the raw deal – three course meal!)
by Chef Megan of Hint of Vanilla
by Chef Sarah of The Sugar Hit
by Chef Sydney of The Crepes of Wrath
... surf it, scroll it, pause it, click it ...
- Finally, it's here. The taco emoji is HERE.
- Neck pain? Headaches? There's a good chance that your smartphone is causing them...
- I just want to say: WOW.
... questions of science, science and progress ...
- Chipotle's noble battle to create a scalable, tasty tortilla with just flour, water, salt, and oil.
- What Jurassic World got wrong: velociraptors had feathers, dammit!
... in the neighborhood bars, i'd once dreamt i would drink ...
- LCD Soundsystem frontman James Murphy is all grown up with his very own neighborhood wine bar. In Williamsburg, of course.
... portland oregon and sloe gin fizz, if that ain't love then tell me what is ...
- Portland police, protecting and serving... bees?
- Hot damn! Salt & Straw, my former local ice cream parlor in Portland collaborated with a bunch of my favorite food carts to create seasonal flavors like tahini and cardamom and goat milk and lingonberry. Can somebody in Portland please experience this for me and report back? Kthnxbai.
... take me on a trip i'd like to go someday ...
- Cheers to the airport staff who very sweetly took care of a boy's lost stuffed tiger and gave him an adventure to remember.
... when i still see it all in my head, burning red ...
- In Japan, Burger King has red cheeseburgers. Say what.
... that life ain't only supply and demand ...
- Panicked about this summer's egg shortage? Don't be.