below: bubble tea with cotton-candy wrapped straws from San Francisco's Japantown
For more pictures of the snacks I ate during the week, follow me on Instagram!
As I predicted, I missed last week’s installation of this column since I was too busy enjoying myself at the Saveur Blog Awards. But no worries! To make up to all you fine folk, I’ve rounded up twice as many of my favorite links from this past and previous week, including two menus full of lovely dishes from lots of lovely people. Have a great weekend (and hopefully you’re not sitting at home in front of your computer, like I am):
This Week’s Menu
(yeah, living the raw deal – three-course meal!)
- Mark Bittman, one of my favorite food writers and recipe creators, is doing a whole series about food in California!
... i can't make you love me ...
- Who else has been guilty of buying expensive junk for their cat in an attempt to make him/her love you more? Apparently not just me.
... surf it, scroll it, pause it, click it ...
- I often wonder if this blog is still going to be around in the next 5 years, but honestly, maybe I should wonder about what it’s gonna look like instead.
... did you ever know that you're my hero ...
- Cake heroes. And villains. They're out there.
... take me on a trip I'd like to go someday ...
- I'm heading to the Netherlands next week for my sister's wedding and I thought I couldn't get any more excited — until I saw these beautiful Dutch blogs about design.
... who run da world? GIRLS ...
- “Women in their early twenties don’t see it coming. It’s going to hit them. They don’t fucking see it coming. They don’t get it. I want them to hear this. I want them to know this. They think that women burned their bras and went through this whole thing so that they can “have it all” now. They think that they’re getting equal pay. They think they’re hot shit in the workplace, and they’re going to suddenly discover that when they have a baby, everything comes to a screeching halt.” - Liz Prueitt, co-owner of Tartine Bakery
... portland oregon and sloe gin fizz, if that ain’t love then tell me what is ...
- Recently, a friend asked what the Asian food scene was like in Portland — more authentic or fusion? It’s not quite that black and white.
... hot town, summer in the city ...
- Pizza, pretzel, and hot dog shaped floaties. Say what.
... this is how we do it ...
- Or not do it. Because food hacks are the worst.
- But on that note, here's a hack on how to make your vegetables last another round.
... questions of science, science and progress ...
- Well, shit, apparently eating chocolate doesn’t help you lose weight after all. But shh, let’s pretend we never heard that (but let's be honest — who really believed that in the first place?).
- The difference between clear versus cloudy ice cubes. Fascinating.
... and i’m hungry like the wolf ...
Last Week's Menu
Have a good weekend, folks! Don't forget to comment with any links, gifs, or recipes I might have missed!